I have learned that if you haven't gone through the drama of loosing friends and having to start anew, it's hard to comprehend the pain. This book was recommended to me by my father who heard about it over the radio. At the time when he insisted I read "Odd Girl Speaks Out" I 'yessed' him. When the book first came out I was in a stable group of friends, everyone loved each other, and everyone wanted to be with everyone else. I started bringing my other friends to meet the 'group' and for a short time one could say we were a 'big, happy family.' In the 8th grade our table was so full that we had to have two table close together, to fit everyone, and we always got yelled at by the aid because there were too many of us! That unfortunately soon came to an end over 8th grade summer into 9th grade. Now in 10th grade and revisiting this same oh too familiar territory, I picked up this book. To absorb the most from this book you must be open to healing the wounds and trying to "[feel] good about [yourself]"(195). No friendship is perfect but like anything it has to be nurtured and loved to work.
I really enjoyed this book. It helped me through a long, hard, and painful fight with a close friend. As isolated as I felt, I realized I absolutely wasn't alone. The realization that going through this pain could make me a better person was eye-opening. I recommend this book to girls, to help them through the tortures of girl drama, and to guys, to try and understand what happens behind the curtains of a girl's friendships. Also to parents so their daughters don't have to be so isolated and feel like 'a fish out of water.'
I hate to say it but a girl really has to go through the pain to find her own, unique personality. It's okay to "...hide [you] tears behind fake smiles and fake laughs" as long as you can eventually truly smile and be happy (191). Not all of a girl's high school years have to be spent crying and being fake--we're allowed to be ourselves too!
Until next time,
Devon
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment