Everyone says girls are supposed to be one big "happy group" (8). The fact is, "we live in a culture that tells girls to be friends with everyone" but, "no one prepares us [girls] for the [messy fights and break ups], what to do, or what to expect" (30).
Over the past two years I have lost my best friends, had to find a new group, and recently got in a fight with another friend. Although all girls go through the same sort of things, we/I felt very alone.
Although I have read only the first 31 pages of this book, it makes me feel less isolated. It seems no one ever really thinks about how deeply words, body language and the silent treatment can cut.
One story, so far, described how a girl's friend used to give everyone a "report card" of sorts on how good of a friend they were. The girl's "report card" said that she was too fat. "In an attempt to be pretty and fit in, [she] developed an eating disorder. In sixth grade, [her] desire to be popular had fueled a full fledged problem that has since been diagnosed as anorexia" (24).
Although I never developed as big of a problem as anorexia, I did get two summers worth of tears and pain. Girls can be brutal but this book has helped me feel less alone.
Until next time,
Devon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment