Friday, January 22, 2010

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- by Stephen Chbosky

Interesting book, interesting format. As a matter of fact I like writing stories as if they were letters. The first person narrative works well for me. However this book doesn't really do it for me although I like Charlie. He seems like a sweet kid, I'm curious as to who the friend in these letters are going to is. These letters are sort of a diary where he always signs off love always Charlie. Charlie tells this unknown person who he doesn't want to recognize him every personal detail he can think of. The letters begin with Charlie telling us about Micheal's suicide and how it affected him. We know Micheal is a friend but we don't know much else, and what happened to poor Aunt Helen is so painful for Charlie. Charlie loves her so much feels responsible for her death and misses her. You find out later exactly what happened to Aunt Helen. Charlie's Dad gets very emotional for some reason when Charlie wants to know what happened what happened. Why? Charlie to me is like a beach where things just keep washing over him. He cries allot when he's happy and sad. Most letters he's always crying about something.

I liked Charlie's experience with Sam at Christmas. I thought it was so sweet and very touching that Sam wanted Charlie's first kiss to come from someone who loved him. I guess that's every ones wish- well actually maybe not but its mine. I like the way Charlie describes his family. Sounds like every ones family., loud, lots of hidden secrets, but lots of love with most of the relatives. Charlie's father's step dad was awful. He beat his wife and Charlie's dad and his sister until grandma's brother Uncle Phil stepped in and beat the guy up. The husband died and Charlie's Dad vowed never to hit his own kids which is why when Charlie's Dad did hit him, he got down on his knees asked for forgiveness. Charlie loves his Dad.

Through Charlie's letters you get a real look into his experiences. One of the things Charlie did that left an impression on me was the tapes he made. An idea he took from a boyfriend of his sister. I like the "First time I Drive" tape and that Charlie liked thinking that when he plated that tape when he was old he'd remember those first drives. I can see myself doing something like that.

Charlie's first year of high school really changes him by robbing his innocence. Almost polluting him. He really did allot of changing. He seemed so innocent in the beginning of his letters but then as he experiences so much- sex, drugs he changes Smoking, drinking I thought was sad, but Charlie had some good friends that did care for him. Patric though exposed Charlie to some frightening things like the men's meet up park. I don't know how to respond to this book. I was confused by Charlie being so overwhelmed he ended up in the hospital- all his emotions on over drive. It was so sad when everyone was leaving for college. Interesting how his family dynamics changed. How his brothers and sister matured and actually loved each other. It was really nice that Charlie really was happy for everyone. How they were moving on. Aunt Helen and Bill were right Charlie is very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment